I used to be a die-hard coffee drinker. This is until I realized how it was wreaking havoc on my already fragile gut- which as a result was causing my skin to break out. While I still enjoy sipping a latte from a local coffee shop once in a while, I have made the switch to drinking my own "beauty latte" each morning, which has resulted in so many benefits that I am excited to share!
- Raw Cacao Powder: This can be found at your local organic shop or Whole Foods. During my trip to Peru, I brought some back to Canada and it has lasted me months! Raw cacao contains a high number of antioxidants, they say 40 times more than blueberries! It repairs and protects the skin from damage and premature aging when applied or consumed. It is a strong anti-inflammatory ingredient, a high source of plant-based iron, contains magnesium, calcium and acts as a mood-booster. The fact that it is basically powdered chocolate just adds to its greatness. Be sure to purchase raw cacao in it's purest form and not cocoa powder. To try this ingredient in a face mask, check out our Deep Hydration Face Mask.
- Ceremonial-Grade Matcha Powder: Matcha contains a high concentration of Chlorophyll, which offers protection to the skin from sun damage and reduces photo-aging. Matcha is high in EGCG (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), which also means high in anti-bacterial properties. Being high in antioxidants including polyphenols, catechins and vitamins helps to keep skin, hair and nails healthy, radiant and youthful. Matcha also boosts your metabolism and helps promote healthy fat loss. Make sure the Matcha you are purchasing is ceremonial-grade, which is the highest quality. To try matcha in a face mask, check out our Green Superfood Clay Mask.
- Organic Ground Ginger: known to help relieve gastrointestinally irritation, helping food and fluids move healthily through the GI tract. During the cold seasons, drinking beauty lattes with ginger is a way to keep warm. It is diaphoretic, which means that it promotes sweating, working to warm the body from within. Ginger is also anti-inflammatory, helping to calm down any skin irritations.
- Organic Turmeric Powder & Ground Black Pepper: Turmeric and "golden lattes" have recently been under the spotlight, however, using turmeric as a beauty staple has been known as common practice in India for centuries. Turmeric is a strong anti-inflammatory ingredient and contains powerful antioxidants. Be sure to only use a small spoonful per day and pair it with ground black pepper. The piperine in black pepper increases the curcumin absorption in turmeric and together act as a very strong anti-inflammatory that some say rival modern "pain killers".
- Your plant-based milk of choice
Mix these powders together and add them to your blender. Add in hot water and your plant-based milk of choice and blend. Pour into your cup and enjoy!
*For added sweetness and flavour, you may choose to add some cinnamon, raw maple syrup (or honey for non-vegans). If you find your diet is low is healthy fats, you can try adding almond butter to the mix or some coconut oil.